technology giants

Global Resources

 5 Questions from Delphi Nieto, VP of Global Resources

At Stratus, we pride ourselves on the vast experience and expertise of our people. As a global multicultural organization, having a diverse employee base and an inclusive workforce culture is essential to developing healthy and sustainable businesses, not only for us but also for our partners and customers. As we navigate unprecedented and challenging times, we took a moment to speak with Vice President of Global Human Resources Delphi Nieto to discuss her 20-year relationship with Stratus, her proud moments and the importance of diversity and inclusion.

When you were new, did you imagine that you would be working with HR?

For years, I have dreamed of flattering a lawyer - mainly because I love good debate and try to negotiate a solution. However, I also knew that lawyers are paid well! I really supposed this would be my path to early adolescence.

What led you to this career? What was the “typical” path of a girl in your community and what influenced you when you started thinking about a career?

Many of the girls in my community, myself included, grew up in single parent families. Most were headed by non-college mothers and, although they worked full-time, they barely managed to survive. So financially it was hard for us, but there was a lot of love. My mother had a “job” of paying bills, but she knew she could do more. She knew that studying would give her more opportunities, so she found time to sign up for an evening course without staying up late to do her homework after she put us to bed. A lot of the courses and hard work paid off, and she landed the position of "HR Assistant" (as HR used to be called). Over the years, she continued to attend school and work hard, which led to her becoming a HR manager. When I was in junior high, she took me to work on weekends or weekends when she had to go to the office, and I had the opportunity to help her with some things. I like it! I was also fortunate enough to have functioned for your company for several years, managing a switch and acting as a Human Resources Assistant. Therefore, I am proud to say that my mother was a great influence on the formation of my career, as it was she who piqued my interest in the field of HR.

What do you fix at Stratus and what do you like best about it? What makes Stratus different from the organizations you have worked for in the past?

I'm the VP of Global Human Resources at Stratus. My job is to make sure we have the right talent strategies and programs that support the company's business strategy. I love that my work is involved throughout the life cycle and affects all aspects of the business; there is a real opportunity to help employees and the company to succeed. Every day is different and unique, and I have the opportunity to participate in a number of global initiatives that directly impact our people, workplace culture and business in general. At Stratus, people are the center of our business, our most important asset, and I have the privilege of working with some of the most amazing people in the world.

What sets Stratus apart from other places where I have worked is that they truly care for each employee, their well-being, and the well-being of their family. This does not mean that the other places where I worked did not care; they were big companies. However, the Stratus is different - I felt it when I walked in, and I can feel it, and I can see it now. Stratus is committed to creating an environment and culture in which people can work at their best. We may not always be perfect at everything, but we work hard to continually improve. I find sense and purpose in what I do at Stratus, and I don’t see it as just “work”. This is important to me and I am proud to say it.

What were you most proud of in Stratus?

I can honestly say that I had many moments of pride! But I am always proud of how generous people are at the company. In addition to our paid volunteer program and partnerships with organizations such as JumpStart and the United Way, every holiday season, corporate headquarters partners with a local food bank to sponsor multiple families who may need help providing toys and gifts.